Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Music, Life, and the World


I bought a Creative Zen Nano plus 1 gig with built in mic and fm tuner for 56$. Not bad. An officemate is selling a pirated nano ipod 2 gigs with microphone, fm, and games for the same price, but as pirated devices go, their durability is never certain, so i didn't buy one. And besides, this would be the first device that I actually bought with my own salary so it had to be original and long lasting. People ask why not an Ipod or an MP4. Eh ayoko manghinayang pagnasnatch, commute boy kaya ako. Phone ko nga di ko mapalit palitan, 5 years nang 3350. I will change it when its no longer working but so far it's still faithful to its master. I am attached to my own stuff. Anyway, I haven't been listening to any music lately and I haven't been playing instruments anymore too so I figured a portable player would do well to reconcile me with music. I'll be buying a guitar next week, and will save for a saxophone, if my lungs haven't yet melted with nicotine.

The only two cd's i have ripped to my mp3 are "song for sceptics" and "Horror Movie Soundtracks". Call that balanced. :) Its weird listening to jesuit music while eating at mcdo. The situation reminded me about the annual silent retreat that i had been attending for the past four years, so eventhough hungry, I slowly picked up my fries, slowly chewed them, and slowly drank my soda. I tried eating fast but that seemed to be betraying the music I was listening to. So? I turned off the mp3 player. It's even weirder to listen to horror soundtracks while walking alone on a dark alley. It Feels like some ugly creature is lurking behind the garbage bins waiting for an oppurtunity to grab me and eat me on the spot. Man, i gotta download some other songs.

Music. i think music records lives. And this doesn't only apply to the composer or singer. For example, that song for sceptics track brought me back to the silent, relaxed, holy mood in mirador; the "beautiful girl" makes me remember my childhood nights when the radio station used to play that song; "lonely, mr lonely" on the other hand brings me to afternoon siestas when my deceased grandmother would be listening to her favorite radio drama; "mirror mirror hanging on the wall" to playing a Monster bash game on the pc; etcetera. Hey, i didn't choose those songs, they just played while i did whatever i did. It can be called conditioning in psychology, but i like to call it a recorder of life. naks.

Anyway, what i don't like about portable players though is that the focused hearing seems to weaken all other senses. For example, with the sight, i usually look at everything i pass by--people's faces, reactions, clothes, what they're eating, corners, shops, buildings, sky, (observant eh, pero totoo). But with music blaring on the ears, I just walk straight, look at nothing in particular, and just listen. With the oflactory senses, I smell perfume when people walk past me, i smell the dried sweat on workers clothes at the mrt, I smell foreigners breathing through their mouths, i smell the stink of the sidewalks along EDSA ave, but not when there's music blaring on my ears, I just look straight and listen. With the skin sense, Sa skin, sa jeep, i usually feel the steaming heat of perspiration coming from the arms of seatmates and the soft skin of a lady beside you or the slight brushing of another masculine deficient guy's arm on your waist. mafeeling. Taste... taste is an exemption. i actually taste the food better when listening to something. Even with company, there is a tendency to not notice somebody talking to you or a tendency to make someone repeat what they have already said. So there, that's what i don't like about portable players, listening to the music isolates the listener from the world. I don't bring my player to work anymore, i prefer observing people to staring at nothing and just listening. But as always, that's just me. I'd still be using it though, maybe while reading a book at some coffeeshop, or just to record my voice so i can despise it, or listen to my pathetic attempts in singing.

This would probably be my last entry for the moment, I might be scheduled back to a graveyard shift.

No comments: